When you’re stocking your medicine cabinet (or the weekend-escape dopp kit) for the approaching warm-weather season, you’re faced with a couple different retail routes: For $60, you can go to Sephora (the beauty megastore, which you may recognize if your lady happens to have a Lancome addiction) and get a hair wax, a body bar, and half of a face wash with your cash (we checked). Or you could hit the grooming aisle in between fetching the lighter fluid and antacids, at the more modest likes of Target, CVS, or Walgreens, where you can stock yourself up through Labor Day for just $40.23. Here’s how to do it cheaply — and how to do it right — in a special edition of Chain-Store Cheat Sheet:
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
• Styling pomade ($2.69) by Suave; drugstore.com. A versatile, everyday styling product. (Learn how to use it here — go to the men’s versatile look.)
• Anti-Dandruff Clear Control Shampoo ($4.79) by Garnier; target.com. Keeps you flake-free and controls your itchy scalp, yet it’s mild enough to use daily. Plus: the herbal, fresh scent is a merciful improvement over the medical-smelling alternatives.
How to Choose a Cologne That Doesn’t Compete with…
Go Ahead, Rub Some Mud On Your Face
Try This For Your Next Shave
Maintenance: Time to Start Using Oils
Why You Should Shave Like Your Granddad Did
• Fusion ProGlide manual razor ($9.99) by Gillette; drugstore.com. The Fusion upgrade is redesigned with a bigger, better-controlled grip and helps keep your skin comfortable with thinner, finer blades.
• Active Protect Face Lotion with SPF 50+ ($8.99) by Neutrogena Men; neutrogena.com. The do-it-all moisturizer: It nourishes, it protects, and it’s ultra sweatproof.
• Body & Face Lotion ($5.79) by Vaseline Men; walgreens.com. Great for chronically dry areas like the elbows and knees. Or for treating sunburnt skin. And it dries in 15 seconds, so it doesn’t slow down the morning routine.
• Excite shower gel ($3.99) by Axe; drugstore.com. Just trust us when we say: She wants you to smell like this.
• Clean Comfort antiperspirant ($3.99) by Dove Men+Care; target.com. A subtle, fresh scent suitable for any occasion that promises 48 hours of odor and wetness protection (you should still apply daily). A nice bonus: It also contains Dove’s outstanding skincare benefits like irritation prevention.