Two words: neck sweat.
When most people imagine thick hair, they think of Victoria’s Secret models shaking their heads side-to-side, their glamorous locks going all over the place. But while it sounds like a good deal, having thick hair comes with its share of struggles — plus a few surprising upsides.
1. Your drain is always clogged. Always.
Some people clean their drains once a week. If you even step in the shower, your drain starts filling up.
Giphy.comAdvertisement – Continue Reading Below
2. Running out of conditioner way before the shampoo.
Of course, you run out of shampoo pretty fast, too. And dry shampoo. And everything else.
3. Hair ties are no match for your mane.
After just a few tries, SNAP — it breaks.
4. If you leave your hair wet, it stays damp all day.
Seriously, what’s this “air drying” you keep telling me about?
5. Needing a lint roller for your clothes … Every. Single. Day.
Most people use lint rollers for cat hair, dog fur, or actual lint. You, on the other hand, need to get your own locks off your clothes.
6. Everyone else’s idea of thick hair does not apply to you.
7. You can go without a haircut for a while without anyone noticing.
Sure, you have plenty of split ends, but you also have tons of not split ends, so you can just pretend your hair is all sorts of healthy even when it’s not.
8. Your brushes are never totally bare.
No matter how often you clean your brushes, they always wind up covered in hair.
9. You basically suffocate your partner when you try to cuddle.
And on that note: Getting hair all over their bed, too.
10. Getting hair icicles in the winter.
For those unfamiliar, this is what happens when you walk outside in the winter with damp hair that doesn’t dry right away — it simply freezes.
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
11. Two words: Neck sweat.
Going out in the summer with your hair down pretty much guarantees your neck will be sweatier than a marathon runner.
12. Giving up halfway through doing your hair.
Arms: too tired. Hair: going in a ponytail.
13. A hint of humidity sends your hair into the frizz zone.
Suddenly, you look like you’re dressed up in an Albert Einstein costume.
14. Even hairdressers get exasperated by your hair.
And don’t even think about bringing a coupon for a blowout.
15. The never ending urge to just shave your head and be done with it all.
No more deep conditioning! No more heat tools! No more blowdrying ever again!
16. Even though short hair isn’t really an option, either.
Gamine pixie cuts are out of your reach. If you chop your hair that short, it just poofs out and makes your head look huge.
17. If you go to sleep with it wet, you wake up with Beauty and the Beast hair.
And we mean the Beast, of course. Not the Beauty. Looking like Belle would require about half a pint of styling cream, thanks.
18. Not needing a hat in the winter.
On the bright side, your helmet of hair keeps your head warm all winter (as long as it’s already dry, of course).
19. Brush bristles breaking under the weight of your hair.
Even the strongest brushes can’t survive.
20. Never driving with the windows and your hair down simultaneously.
Otherwise, you just end up with your eyes (and mouth, and nose…) getting hair slapped by the wind.
21. Updos physically weigh down your head.
Sure, that thick messy bun looks great in the morning, but by the end of the day it’s got to go, lest you get an awful tension headache.